March 2, 2011

The Economy of Donuts

It is 12:19 a.m. and I am eating a donut for lunch. I know that I will bring shame on my family by consuming pastries at lunchtime, but I ask you, isn't it worth risking the waistline of the few for the good of many? Let me explain. I had a dentist appointment today. After having my teeth cleaned and my back patted for excellent brushing skills, I got a toy from the treasure chest and walked across the parking lot to the grocery store. Okay, they wouldn't give me a toy. Anyway, when I stopped at the deli counter to pick up some ham I noticed a new and strategically placed display of Krispy Kreme donuts.

Dooonuuuuts. I want some donuts. I'm starving! No no no no you can't buy donuts. You need to go home and eat something nutritious and homemade.  You are better than donuts.

Besides, there is a donut shop across town that has fresh donuts. Their donuts are way better. And I could support a local business!  And that was the thing, you see, because now I could justify it. My Man is always telling me to stimulate the local economy and vote with my dollars. Just the other day our grocery ran a special on Ben and Jerry's and I voted twice. It was a cause I felt passionately about. 

So of course, like any good citizen would, I bought the donuts at the donut shop. I bought more than I needed of course, because I wanted to do as much good as possible.


Aren't they lovely? My daughter couldn't understand why I had to take a picture before she could eat one, but in my opinion if a blog does have visual aids, it isn't worth reading. Stop counting, you don't want to know.

Blueberry cake donuts happen to be my favorite. The woman at the drive-in saw me and said 'we have four blueberry, I know you like.'  Dear Lord, does that mean I've crossed over the line between occasional customer and regular? Will she just start packing the box next time I pull up? I have the sudden urge to jump on the arch trainer. Just as soon as I finish my donut.


Now the really tricky part about this whole thing is that my daughter had picked a flower and she wanted to give it to Papa. We had to give it to him first, because I didn't want him to see the chocolate on our faces and know what we had been doing. So I told little girl not to tell Papa we were going to get donuts. As soon as she had given Papa the flower and we were alone again she turns to me, jumping up and down and says 'I didn't tell Papa about the donuts! Can we go now'?  Suddenly I feel terrible. Like when I hide in the laundry room so my kids won't know I have a cookie. Of course he will know exactly what we got up to when he reads this post, but by then we will have already eaten the evidence.

I'm sorry honey, lent is coming up and I just couldn't stop myself. Please forgive me for corrupting little girl. Love, your wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment